Local legends are being called on to carry the Queen’s Baton in Karratha as it prepares to host the Queen’s Baton Relay.
The eyes of the Commonwealth will be on Karratha on 27 February 2018 as the Baton journeys towards its final destination, the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) Opening Ceremony on 4 April 2018.
Across Australia approximately 3,800 batonbearers are needed to share the dream of the ‘friendly Games’ as part of the Queen’s Baton Relay.
City of Karratha Mayor Peter Long said people from Karratha and the surrounding region are being encouraged to nominate someone worthy of carrying the Baton.
“The Queen’s Baton Relay is a rare opportunity to shine a light on the people and places that help make our community truly great,” Cr Long said.
“We’re delighted to be a part of an event that will showcase our City to the world and I encourage you to nominate a local legend you think deserves to be a Batonbearer, whether they’re an aspiring young person or someone who is already accomplished.”
Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation Chairman Peter Beattie AC said batonbearers nominated by the public will champion the power of local community.
“As it travels through the country the Baton will bring people together from across our nation’s vast and varied landscapes, from red deserts to rainforests and mountains to islands, from our city precincts to beyond the black stumps. It’s a journey that is sure to increase our sense of connection and understanding of each other.”
Setting off in Australia on 25 December 2017, the Baton will travel for 100 days to connect with as many people as possible in every state and territory.
The Queen’s Baton carries a message from Her Majesty The Queen through the entire Commonwealth. The Games are declared officially open when the message is read aloud.
Until 15 May 2017, anyone can nominate a person who inspires them to be great. Nominations can be made at gc2018.com/qbr.
GC2018 are looking for people who:
- Have achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary; or
- Have made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or within their community; or
- Have excelled, or aspire to excel athletically or personally; or
- Contribute to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community;
- Are at least 10 years old as at 25 December 2017; and
- Are an Australian citizen or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018).
- The Queen’s Baton Relay takes a message from Her Majesty The Queen around the Commonwealth to the Opening Ceremony of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- The GC2018 Relay is the longest in history, travelling for 388 days and 230,000 kilometres.
- In Australia the Baton will travel for 100 days through every state and territory, showcasing Australia’s history, culture, traditions, geography and people to the world.
- Approximately 3800 batonbearers will take the Queen’s message around Australia.
- The GC2018 Relay has been designed to be inclusive and accessible, giving as many people as possible an opportunity to spend quality time with the Baton.
- From London, the Baton will travel to all Commonwealth nations and territories for 288 days before arriving in Australia for the final leg of the journey.
- The Baton will reach its final destination at Carrara Stadium for the Games’ Opening Ceremony on 4 April 2018. The Games are declared open when the Queen’s message is read aloud.
- Each host city is responsible for delivering a new design for the Queen’s Baton. The GC2018 Queen’s Baton design was revealed on 20 November 2016 and captures the boundless energy of the Gold Coast.
- The QBR is a longstanding Games tradition and the ultimate symbol of the Commonwealth Games. Since the Cardiff 1958 British Empire and Commonwealth Games, the Queen’s Baton has carried a message from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II calling the Commonwealth’s athletes to come together in peaceful and friendly competition at the Games.
- QBR URL: gc2018.com/qbr
- QBR Hashtag: #QBR2018
- GC2018 Hashtag: #GC2018, #SHARETHEDREAM