A total of 29 community groups and sports clubs attended a presentation evening last night to celebrate their success in the recent August and October quarterly grant scheme funding rounds.
Over $63,000 was awarded from the Community and Cultural Grant Scheme and Sports Funding Grant Scheme, both supported by the City of Karratha and the Woodside-operated North West Shelf Project.
City of Karratha Mayor Peter Long said the quarterly grants provide support to a wide range of community groups and clubs each year.
“Our quarterly grants scheme gives us a chance to support those local groups that give so much back to the community, whether it be through sport, events or providing a community service,” Cr Long said.
“Through the schemes we are able to support a number of these organisations and ensure a diverse range of projects benefit from our support, from providing funds so the Dampier Arts Studio can hire space for workshops to helping the Raiders Boxing Club cover the cost of running free boxing classes for troubled youth in the City,” he said.
“These extra funds can be crucial for these groups and we are proud to be able to join with the Woodside-operated North West Shelf Project to provide this support.”
Karratha Gas Plant Asset Manager Andrew Lobb, representing the Woodside-operated North West Shelf Project, said it was an honour to support the City of Karratha's quarterly community grants.
"These grants go a long way in a community like Karratha, where there is a strong sense of community and a willingness to get things done," he said.
"Woodside really values its partnership with this community, which dates back more than 30 years."
August 2016 Quarterly Grant recipients:
• Karratha Arts and Learning Centre
• Dampier Arts Studio
• Wickham Primary School P&C
• Karratha Scout Group
• Nickol Bay Hockey Association
• Northern Swimming Association Pilbara Region 6 (via auspice)
• North West Volleyball Association
• Karratha Softball Association
• Karratha Adult Riding Club
• Karratha Districts Junior Soccer Association (auspice for Axle Falkingham)
October 2016 Quarterly Grant recipients:
• Ngaarda Media Aboriginal Corporation
• Pilbara Community Legal Service
• Point Samson Community Association (auspice Point Samson Playgroup)
• Ngarluma Yindjibarndi Foundation
• Karratha Baptist Church
• Dampier Family Playgroup
• Dampier Community Association (auspice for Dampier Billycart Derby)
• Karratha Basketball Association
• Karratha Little Athletics
• Dampier Taverner’s Cricket Club
• Raiders Boxing Club
• Pilbara Regional Football Development Commission (auspice for Jessica Creighton)
• Karratha Equestrian Centre
• West Pilbara Softball Organisation
• West Pilbara Softball Organisation (auspice for Georgina Bushby)
• West Pilbara Cricket Association