The City of Karratha is gearing up for another huge Australia Day with a host of activities planned to recognise community champions, welcome new citizens to the community and celebrate our great nation.
Festivities will kick off in the morning with the prestigious Australia Day Awards and continue throughout the day with an afternoon of family fun planned at the Karratha Leisureplex including free pool entry, live music, Aussie barbecue, bakery and juice bar as well as a range of games and activities for the kids.
The second annual Love Where You Live Community Expo will be held in conjunction with Aussie Day festivities and massive display of fireworks will be launched from the Leisureplex Oval in the evening to cap off a fun-filled day.
Australia Day activities will also be held at the Roebourne Aquatic Centre and Wickham Recreation Precinct.
City of Karratha Mayor Peter Long said Australia Day is a chance to get together with friends and family and celebrate our wonderful country.
“Australia Day is a time for us to come together and celebrate our community and nation and of course it wouldn’t be Australia Day if there wasn’t a good old fashioned barbecue with friends by the pool. I’m looking forward to another fantastic day of festivities at the Leisureplex this year as we kick off the year in true Australian style,” Cr Long said.
The annual City of Karratha Australia Day Celebrations are supported by Rio Tinto.
Rio Tinto Rail Operations general manager Zara Fisher said she was looking forward to seeing the community once again embrace the Australia Day celebrations.
“The Australia Day celebrations is a favourite event on all of our calendars”, Ms Fisher said.
“So much activity and entertainment for the whole family to enjoy. Another wonderful event that brings our community together”.
Australia Day activities will take place on Tuesday 26 January.
- Poolside activities and Aussie barbecue and bakery will kick off from 4pm.
- Pool entry is free from 4pm to 7pm.
- The pool area will close at 7.30pm.
- The Love Where You Live Community Expo take place in the Leisureplex Function room from 3pm to 6pm.
- Firework display will commence at 7.45pm from the Leisureplex Oval.
- All children under 10yrs old must be accompanied by an adult +16yrs
- All children swimming under 5yrs must be accompanied by an adult swimmer who is in arms reach at all times
Wickham Recreation Precinct:
- Opening hours: 9:30am – 5pm
- Aqua Run: 11:30am – 12:30pm (+10yrs) (free for the public to use)
Roebourne Aquatic Centre:
- Opening hours: 10:30am – 5pm
For further information about the Australia Day Awards and Celebrations visit www.karratha.wa.gov.au/australiaday